Monday and Tuesday: No school due to inclement weather!
Wednesday: Warm Up: Unpack Embedded Assessment 1 for the unit “Evolving Perspectives”. What does the unit theme mean?
• Opening: Review directions for the Anticipation Guide.
Work Session – Complete Anticipation Guide with reasoning provided to defend each response • begin reading the first chapter of the novel
Homework: Read chapters 2-3 of TATDOAPTI
• Thursday: • Warm Up: What do you know about Native Americans?
• Work Session – What do you know about Native Americans? Begin analyzing the informational article • Complete the Journal—what did you find surprising and informative about this article? • Begin reading chapter 4 of TATDPTI •
• Homework: Begin reading the chapters 4-5 of the Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian
• Friday: • Warm Up: Reading comprehension check • Opening: Quick-write into 4 square graphic organizer
• Work Session – •Analyze the Sherman Alexie interview and annotate the article into the graphic organizer • Complete the Journal— What is the significance of the passage listed below? How does it connect to all that we’ve read or viewed thus far? “We were supposed to make you give up being Indian. Your songs and stories and language and dancing. Everything. We weren’t trying to kill Indian people. We were trying to kill Indian culture”(Sherman 35).
• Homework: Begin reading chapters 6-8 of the Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian
Warm Up: Unpack the Embedded Assessment 1 and review the rubric
• Work Session – • (I do): p. 420 Complete the “Key Ideas and Details Chart” to brainstorm for the Embedded Assessment 2—MLA Parenthetical Citations • Begin constructing rough draft • Begin constructing rough draft • Closing: Checklist for next lesson constructed to ensure completion for Embedded Assessment 2
• Warm Up: Grammar Lesson review (revise essay)
• Opening: Explain the writer’s circle (all students will revise a partner’s essay and then pass it. Doing this for 3-4 rounds)
• Work Session – Peer Editing GO on page 428 • complete the Peer Editing GO with an assigned partner • Begin revising your essay • Closing: 3-2-1 (3 things you are struggling with in regards to writing, 2 questions you have, 1 visual representation of how you are doing in this class)
• Thursday: • Warm Up: Google Doc Warm-up • Opening: Discuss the assignment, clarify any confusions to ensure that students understand grading and expectations
You type our final copies of the Embedded Assessment 2. Complete the checklist for the Embedded Assessment 2. Coyle will call individual writing and grade conferences.
Closing: Review self checklist created at the end of class yesterday to ensure that you have completed all portions. Submit your final copy to Coyle along with your completed Embedded Assessment 2 checklist.
• Friday: • Warm Up: Unpack Embedded Assessment 1 for the unit “Evolving Perspectives”
• Opening: What do you know about Native Americans? • Work Session – Begin analyzing the informational article • (You do): Complete the Journal—what did you find surprising and informative about this article? • Closing: Parking Lot—Question about today’s lesson/Comment about today’s lesson • Homework: Begin reading the first 3 chapters of the Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian
Welcome to your senior-level English class! As this is your last English class in high school, we want to ensure that you are prepared for whatever journey you take after graduation in May whether that be college, military or the work force. That being said, it is imperative that you come to class on time, ready to finish out your Senior year with a bang!